Sunday, May 24, 2009

Proud to be an American

Memorial Day isn't the only time I'm proud to be an American, but it's certainly a good reminder. Another incredible reminder is the ever-growing number of people I love who have served our country and fought selflessly for my freedom, just because it's the right thing to do. They have more guts than I ever will, and have achieved more than I can ever hope to in my lifetime.


I'm so thankful for the peeps in my life who have been willing to fight for my freedom, including (but not limited to): my grandfather, Herman Moore, who served in the Army in WWII; my (newer) grandfather, Cliff Ball, who served in the Air Force throughout his career as a Colonel and fought in many battles/wars, many of which I will never know about; my daddy, Kent Johnson, who served in the Army National Guard; my cousin, Jeff Moore, who served in the Marines, fought in two (?) wars, and achieved Captain ranking; my friend, Allen McDaniel, who served in the Army National Guard, fought in two (?) wars, and went on from being oh Captain my Captain to a higher ranking, which made me happy for him, but disappointed that my favorite nickname for him is no longer applicable. ;-)


There are many more people whom I love and cherish who have served our country. Really, there are too many to name. But those are the ones who have probably touched my life on a daily basis more than I ever dreamed anyone would, and I thank them -- and all our past, present and future soldiers -- for being so amazing and for keeping our country free.


I love the Zac Brown Band, and his song "Chicken Fried" is entirely too appropriate for this time of remembrance for me not to bring it up. Here are the lyrics that keep running through my mind:


I thank God for my life

And for the stars and stripes

May freedom forever fly

Let it ring

Salute the ones who died

The ones who give their lives

So we don't have to sacrifice

All the things we love

(Like our chicken fried)



God bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw me sumthin', mister!