Monday, May 4, 2009

Safe steals.

I'm catching up on friends' blogs for the first time in ages, and have decided to steal a few.

First on my list: an update on the Biloxi Lighthouse restoration by Jackson, MS PR colleague Shawn.
Biloxi
lighthouse repairs to begin

Photo via
Flickr/Michael Fontaine
Hopefully, the Biloxi Lighthouse
will be ready for touring again by next spring. Restoration work is set to begin
in May and is slated to be finished by the end of the year. Hurricane Katrina
washed out part of the brick interior and completely destroyed the electrical
system.
Built in 1848 as a "working lighthouse," the 61-foot cast-iron
tower has long been a draw for tourists and locals alike (partly because of the
spectacular view from the top).
Along with restoring the lighthouse itself,
there are plans to build a new visitor's center on the north side of U.S. 90
directly across from the tower.


(Can we say YAY!!!?!?! I love that lighthouse.)

Next up, an inspirational quote from the blog of BR acquaintance (and outstanding community activist) Jamie:

Explore.
Dream. Discover.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by
the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the
bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

Ab. So. Lutely. I totally needed this one. Every day.

And thirdly, a "Mama Wins" post from my sister's sweet college friend Presley, and my own friend by good fortune:
A fellow blogger, Tales From The Crib, has been giving herself the award "Mama Wins" occasionally. In her own words she describes this award as " to honor the little things we as moms do that get little, if any, recognition. these are the kinds of things that i find myself doing (occasionally) that make me say to myself, 'i should get an award for this.'" Every time she awards this she has chosen something specific i.e.
carrying on adult conversations while little children running around the house
crazily, relaxed the "little-or-no sugar" rules to truly enjoy the Easter
holiday, bravely forge ahead with their motherly duties no matter what kind of
health problems they are dealing with. (I took/paraphrased those from examples
from her previous "Mama Wins" blog posts - you can click on her name above to go
to her blog). This morning when I read her "Mama Wins" post it resonated with
me. She gave herself the award for "today's award goes to you mamas out there
who let your kids wear what they want to wear, when they want to wear it, even
if you believe it brings shame to you and your name". As I have written about on
occasion, this is something I tend to struggle with. It just so happens that
yesterday, I overcame this issue for one outing :) Mondays are very busy for us.
After a morning of errands and taking Bankston Hays to Mommy and Me we pick up
Ann Elise from Preschool and take her to gymnastics. She has to change into her
leotard in the van. Once we are back home she runs up to her room and picks out
something from her "play clothes". Today, that selection consisted of an old
"princess on a horse" T-shirt with several red dirt stains, a non-matching pair
of coral colored knit shorts, neon striped Hello Kitty socks, and pink tennis
shoes with rainbow colored glitter. Awesome!! The great thing about this? I not
only let her out of the house, I let her go to the Library. Yes! Once Wes got
home from school, the four of us loaded up and went to the Library - Wes in his
uniform, Bankston Hays in a sweet appliqued shortall, and my very own Punky
Brewster! I only wish I had taken a picture. It would have made a great addition
to this post!

I so love this. The encouragement to step outside of my own norm -- and have fun while doing so -- is never unheeded by this redhead.

Thanks to ALL my blogging friends for their fun posts, and for keeping me updated on things when I need them, and how I need them.

I must say....catching up has never been so much fun. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw me sumthin', mister!