Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Indian giver

Last week, I got the cutest little birthday card from my 3-year-old nephew. The cover said, "Happy birthday to my aunt." Inside, the card read, "You're sort of like my mom away from mom." Too cute, right? But there's more!

According to my sister, Caleb felt the card needed more numbers (when you think about it, kids' cards are all about the big colorful numbers), so he added 10-25-07 and 31. He also drew a shark, a jellyfish, the sun, the moon, and "a boat for Bekah in Baton Rouge," all nicely labeled by my sister.

When I was talking to Kim yesterday, I could hear Caleb singing in the background so I asked her to tell him how much I love my card. While she was putting him on the phone, I could hear him protesting, "I know she wants to talk to me, but I can't right now -- I have things to do!" Finally, after some mother/son discussion, his little voice chimed loud and clear, "Hey Bekah! Love you Bekah! Bye Bekah!"

I said, "Wait! Caleb! I just wanted to tell you how much I loved my sweet birthday card. You did such a great job of drawing on it...the sun, moon, jellyfish, shark, and boat for Baton Rouge...they were wonderful! And all those numbers you wrote -- you are such a big boy!"

After a few seconds of silence, Caleb emphatically stated, "I want that card back."

Trying to muffle my laughter, I heard Kim exclaim in the background, "Caleb Levi! That was Aunt Bekah's birthday card."

Ever the politician, he replied, "Well, it's not her birthday anymore."

Clearly, the boy knows a good piece of art when he sees -- or creates -- it.


3 Comments - 6 Kudos

Again, sounds very much like my Kimberly. Too Cute!
Posted by Just Music on November 13, 2007 - Tuesday 10:58 PM

That is hilarious!
Posted by Bethanie on November 14, 2007 - Wednesday 4:45 PM

That is so funny! I can so picture Hailey saying something like that!
Posted by Wendy on November 19, 2007 - Monday 1:58 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw me sumthin', mister!