Sunday, August 9, 2009

Casablanca

I can't believe I am 32 1/2 and just watched "Casablanca" for the first time today! I didn't feel so bad, though, when I learned that most of the girls I was with were seeing it for the first time, too.

The big-screen showing was part of BR's downtown summer movie classic series at The Shaw Center. It has been one of the most fun parts of the summer. Several girlfriends and I bought tickets to three showings -- one movie per month -- and wrapped the summer series up today with "Casablanca." The first was "Gone with the Wind," and the second was "Wizard of Oz."

As embarrassed as I am to admit my lack of having seen (or that as a kid, I fell asleep in) many of the great classics long before now, I'm also excited to have finally watched the movie where so many great (and often quoted) quotes originated, including:
  • "Here's lookin' at you, kid."

  • "I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

  • "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she had to walk into mine."

A funny aside from the movie is that Baton Rouge has its own Cafe Americain, but I never knew where the name stemmed from. Now that I do, of course, I'm craving it. ;-)
But back to topic: if you're like me and haven't seen "Casablanca," you must. Now. Today.

If you have, maybe watch it again, just for fun. The humor is timeless, and the history was poignant.

And the acting... Humphrey Bogart. Ingrid Bergman. :: happy sigh ::

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw me sumthin', mister!