Sunday, January 28, 2007

my sunshine

when I was a little girl, I vividly remember my Grandma Johnson daily telling my sister and me "I L-O-V-E you" and singing "You are my sunshine" as we played around her while she was cutting dumpling strips at the kitchen table.

I'm not sure I fully appreciated the depth of being someone's sunshine until the past few extremely dreary weeks in the deep South. we have definitely expereinced almost months on end with just a few rays of sunshine here and there, so today, when I felt and saw the warmth of the sunshine, it seemed I could feel its healing cathartic qualities all the way to my toenails. clear as day, my mind took me back to her strong alto voice singing:

you are my sunshine
my only sunshine
you make me happy when skies are gray
you'll never know, dear, how much I love you
please don't take my sunshine away

I can only hope that Kim and I provided Grandma Johnson real warmth and joy of a healing nature during our slice of her 86 years.

I love memories.

2 Comments - 5 Kudos
I've always been truly fond of this song! Somehow [and I'm not consciously sure how] it is uniquely special to me. I'm glad to hear that it is special to someone else, too. Thanks for sharing!!!!
Posted by lotts2tel on January 29, 2007 - Monday 5:14 PM

This brought a little "sunshine" to my cold and cloudy North Alabama day!
Posted by Rachel on January 31, 2007 - Wednesday 11:27 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw me sumthin', mister!