Monday, June 8, 2009

Gone With the Wind




This weekend, I went to see the Southern classic "Gone With the Wind" on the big screen at Paula Manship Theatre in downtown Baton Rouge. It didn't hurt that I was with three of my favorite BR girls EVER, and that it was on a gloriously beautiful Sunday afternoon in one of the South's loveliest downtowns.






I hadn't seen this movie in years -- why don't I watch it at least once a year?! -- and I practically swooned with the Southerness of it all. It was fantastic, in the way that historical memorabilia always is. It held drama, history, shame, beauty, sadness, desolation, desperation, comedy, and, last but not least, the classic brattiness/strength of Scarlett O'Hara.





There were vitally poignant points that I took from this viewing, including:




  • Everyone has a Scarlett. This is not always good, depending on who you are in her world, but one can always learn a lesson or two from her!



  • Everyone has an Ashley -- that good-hearted, kind soul who is just beyond reach.



  • Everyone NEEDS a Mamie. Not an actual personal servant, mind you, but a friend that is closer than a brother, and who will speak truth -- tell you when your waist will never be at 18 inches again, and when you are acting like a spider, and when you are no better than "white trash." Everyone needs that. 24/7.



  • The South is beautiful.



  • The South made some mistakes.



  • Some slaveowners treated their slaves well (not as animals, but as employees). This was good for me to see, as a born and bred Southerner.



  • Land is vital.



  • Family is the most precious asset, no matter what else is at stake.



But even with the poignant observations, my favorite memories of this day of all were my beautiful friends' reactions:



Angelle, tough but sweet Louisiana girl:
"I love how strong Scarlett is, even if she IS manipulative. I hope I'm like that."
(And don't worry; she totally can be if the situation calls for it.)

Erica, preciously hopeless romantic and Pollyanna to the end:
"Awwwwwwww!"
(in response to everything, including when something bad happened to the villains)

Chrissy, fun and sporty California girl-turned-Louisiana native:
"Boy. That Scarlett was a handful, wasn't she?"

Really. My gorgeous variety of BR girls, a Southern classic, a downtown that allows for such fun and safe outings, and a beautiful (and not yet too hot) summer day.

Who could ask for anything more?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw me sumthin', mister!