Wednesday, March 26, 2008

brit lit

In a very unplanned sequence, I have recently happened upon several books written by and about the British. They are, of course, chick lit, which is meant to be enjoyed with a favorite tub of Blue Bell and the best bubble bath a girl can find.

So in that regard, I present to you some of my favorite British terms. I admittedly may start accidentally using some of these terms in sentences if I keep up this reading pattern, but for now, I’m just putting them in context:
  • holiday -- I am going on holiday in a few weeks, and I can’t wait!
  • telly -- Thank heavens the writers’ strike is over; now maybe we can find something decent to watch on the telly.
  • plug -- I was so thirsty after my workout that I took a long and loud plug of my water without thinking about how unladylike I might look or sound.
  • s versus z -- I’ve come to realise that things are not always what they seem.
  • arse -- Surely after a few more weeks at the gym, my arse won’t scream at me every time I walk.
  • cheesed off -- I can’t imagine why everyone is so cheesed off with me. It’s really bringing me down.
  • barking -- I’m sure the guy who walked past while I was muttering to myself thinks I’m barking. At one time, I really was viewed as sane...I’m sure of it.
  • cow -- I would love to say she’s a complete cow, but unfortunately for the rest of us, she’s quite lovely.
  • motorbike -- With the recent hike in gas prices, there’s also been a distinct increase in the number of motorbikes you see on the road.
  • tug -- I’ve been sitting here so long I might need you to give me a tug to help me up.
  • piqued -- He felt piqued when he realised she had not told him everything that seemed common knowledge to everyone else.

And there are more, but those are my favourites...especially when I'm on holiday. :-)


3 Comments - 0 Kudos

very cute. ;-)
Posted by Çhr阮ïñå on March 27, 2008 - Thursday 4:40 AM

I often use "holiday" in this fashion because I too find it just adorable. I'm loving the "cheesed off" and plan to implement it from now on. :) One thing I like to use is "bloody" as a curse word, because for some reason in the US it doesn't sound like a curse word... and you know me, I'm tryin to break that bloody habit :)
Posted by Susan on March 27, 2008 - Thursday 6:01 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw me sumthin', mister!