Monday, March 17, 2008

An object in motion...

...tends to stay in motion. And an object at rest tends to stay at rest, right? That’s what I’ve always heard, anyway...and I’m pretty sure it’s actually a law.

So when I found that law (of gravity? physics? something else scientific that usually goes completely above my head?) applying to other parts of my life recently, I couldn’t help but wonder...were the science books onto something?

For instance, something got me really down this weekend. And I do mean really down. It was the kind of something that can, let’s say, take a perfectly good Friday and swirl it around until you forget why you’re thanking God it’s Friday. And once I got on the downward slope, there was no stopping me. My doctor’s appointment that afternoon depressed me. (I’m not saying I usually do cartwheels in the waiting room, but please - it was a routine checkup.) My haircut didn’t make me as happy as usual (what??! I was being pampered...hello!). And driving around my old stomping grounds made me sad and lonely rather than happy and reflective.

But then, I had GNO with my girls. It wasn’t the typical make-you-happy-till-you-drop GNO, but it was such fun, sweet, good time with my girls. So sweet that it in itself was almost more reflective than upbeat, so my downward turn could’ve gone either way. But after that, I got to hang with my main big man. THEN I got millions of hours of much-needed sleep. THEN I had girlie brunch with some friends (one of whom is a little toddler cutie that could make anyone melt). THEN I got to do some post-parading with C and see some wonderful old friends, which is never bad. And then the kicker came when we had fantastic hang-out time with other friends at their house that night. So once the upward turn started, it just kept going.

I’ve noticed the same thing when it comes to after-hours activities. Once I get settled in after work (especially after a long day), I don’t want to move, much less check anything off my list. But if I (follow Liz’s advice and) keep going until time for bed, wham, I never knew what I missed in that nap or coveted reading time.

Basic principles, yes, but ones I’m going to try to remember more often...particularly when I’m feeling down or lazy.

An object in motion tends to stay in motion. An object at rest tends to stay at rest.


1 Comments

It was great seeing you this weekend. Nothing like sitting in a bathroom while your friend tries to fish a dry contact lens out of her eye (incidentally I did get it out the next morning, and it was folded up like 3 times)! But, nonetheless, great seeing you!
Posted by Ashley on March 18, 2008 - Tuesday 6:44 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw me sumthin', mister!