Sunday, April 27, 2008

hissy fit

I just finished reading a great piece of chick lit by Mary Kay Andrews, Hissy Fit. (If you're into fun reads and aren't offended by a little colorful language, I recommend it.)

The book is about a Southern girl who -- no spoilers here -- goes through some life junk. And, predictably, throws a hissy fit or two.

We all know that Southern women are known for many things, particularly our manners, cooking, accents, attempts at charm, and...yes...hissy fits.

Unfortunately, being a redhead has certainly not tamed my tendency toward those little outburts (or at least that's what they tell me I can blame it on).
In my very protective-of-the-real-South opinion, Mary Kay Andrews does a great job of expounding on the atmosphere and ambiance without giving it a cheap Hollywoodish fake accent. (This is when books are way better than movies.) She details things that really happen (being questioned about a date's "people") and helped me giggle about exaggerations of the things that really happen (not daring to cancel a hair appointment before an event, even if said event was scandalously cancelled).

In fact, I enjoyed (related to? connected with? resembled?) Hissy Fit so much that I visited the library after finishing it to snatch up the other MKA novellas I could find. Two are about Savannah, and wouldn't you know that my Savannah-bred boyfriend has confirmed that the author had her details spot-on, even down to which turns and shortcuts one can take from the downtown squares to Tybee Island. I like that.

But back to hissy fits (not the book, but the real thing). I don't generally like myself when I throw one. And I don't generally throw them in public. But it has happened, and I'm not proud of it.

However, why is it that sometimes that's the only time people take a girl seriously? Thankfully, it's been a while for me...well, since my carpet was installed. (I think I blogged about that with something PLB-related in the title.) I'm not necessarily on a tirade about it tonight, but I did want to share about the books and author, and openly question you...why does it sometimes take a hissy fit for a Southern girl to be taken seriously?

Whatever the answer, when I grow up, that's one Southern tradition I hope to outgrow. Good riddance, redheaded temper.


2 Comments - 2 Kudos

Cute, very cute. I have been looking for something new to read. I will have to check it out, cannot wait!!!
Posted by RE RE on April 28, 2008 - Monday 3:05 PM

Sounds perfect. Been looking for a light read. I wish I knew the answer to your question, but can only agree with you I'm afraid... and hope you find the answer. You know what's worse? When people think it's "cute" when I throw a hissy fit. Ugh!
Posted by Susan on May 1, 2008 - Thursday 10:33 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throw me sumthin', mister!